Did you know that our Synod, the South Central Synod of Wisconsin, has an outreach mission to assist survivors during times of disaster? It’s called Lutherans United Assisting after Disasters (LUAD). This assistance is available to anyone connected to our Synod. Should a disaster strike, be it fire, flood, tornado, etc., we want to help.
We are an experienced and dedicated team of volunteers with a trailer full of tools and equipment ready to respond to those in need. LUAD serves Lutherans and all others as well. LUAD is owned by no one and pays no one for their services. We do not charge survivors for any assistance provided.
In order for LUAD to do this work, we need a contact person in your church. A Congregational Contact person or church committee member is someone who agrees to allow LUAD to call them when a disaster occurs and is then able to contact/recruit potential members in their congregation.
This all takes very little time but it is an important task that allows LUAD to quickly help survivors of disasters. A contact person may also request LUAD assistance if they see a need for help in their community. The task of a congregational contact person is critical. Our need for this assistance is great.
Please prayerfully consider becoming a LUAD Congregational Contact person for your church. Contact LUAD at 888-237-0433, email us at Info@LUAD.org, or visit us at www.LUAD.org.
HOW TO ACTIVATE LUAD IN CASE OF A DISASTER
If flooding should occur (or any other weather disaster) it is important that survivors, synod churches, and volunteers know how to reach LUAD so we can help. Here are five ways to reach LUAD:
- Ideally a local congregation would contact either the synod office or LUAD directly.
- Call our toll-free number 888-237-0433.
- Contact the synod office.
- Go to the South-Central Synod of Wisconsin web site, click on Ministries and Partners, scroll down to the LUAD link and click and you are now at LUAD.org which is our website.
- Go directly to LUAD.org
- Click on service request if you need help
- Click on get involved if you would like to helpIt is important to know that LUAD serves the whole community, not just Lutherans. We work with local emergency offices. You don’t have to be Lutheran to help. Friends from other denominations can volunteer.
Let us hope and pray for a disaster free year in throughout the synod area but know that we are ready and eager to help if necessary.
Todd Long, LUAD President